Saturday, July 17, 2010

Unanswered Prayers

After a lot of prayer and discussion with Mr. Four Walls regarding our impending lack of childcare, I asked my boss this week if I could work a "flexible" schedule;  I proposed starting earlier, leaving earlier, and working a couple of Saturdays to make up the difference.  Mr. Four Walls would handle the mornings, hopefully with the help of a neighbor or college student so he could get out the door at reasonable hours, and I would be home in time to get the older kids off the bus.  The baby would still go to daycare (somewhere?),  but would have to be there for a shorter period.  My proposal didn't go so well, I'm afraid.  While I haven't been officially turned down, it's not looking good for my vision of less-chaotic afternoon commutes followed by helping with homework, starting dinner before it should actually be on the table, and maybe - just maybe - getting the girls back into some activities once finances stabilize a bit more. 

I suppose this post doesn't actually have to do with the house, on which there has been absolutely zero activity in the last 7 days.  However, as the catalyst for me making the request was an effort to reduce childcare expenses so that once we are through this nerve-racking process we might stand a chance of being able to balance our budget, I guess that does have a bit to do with the house.  Once I started writing up my proposal for how I saw my alternative schedule working and ways to remedy the potential pit-falls, it became more than a money saving move: it became a mommy-saving move.  After 2 1/2 years of being gone nearly 11 hours a day for my commute and work, it's not getting any easier. In fact, adding the baby to the mix (completely unplanned, for those that aren't familiar with that story...another post for another day), this chaotic, Monday through Friday, all day, everyday schedule has about driven me batty.  

But for now I have to remember that unanswered prayers are unanswered for a reason.....and accept that the bats in the belfry are getting pretty cozy.

No comments:

Post a Comment