Thursday, January 12, 2012

All Aboard the Child-Labor Train!

What exactly is it about kids and water?!

Cranky baby?  Give 'em a bath!  Need a few minutes of uninterrupted time or a way to distract a bored kid? Hand them a squirt bottle and a rag!


All three of my girls have instantly responded to water when upset or bored.  I swear, I think I'm going to start giving dollar-store squirt bottles out as baby-shower presents, we've gone through so many over the years!  To be honest, the allure hasn't worn off even for my oldest, at 9 1/2.  She and her sisters can always come up with something to do with a squirt bottle!

And the benefits go beyond just keeping them happily entertained for a few minutes. 

You know all of those finger/nose/tongue/whatever-other-sticky-body-part-last-contacted-the-glass prints on the lower parts of your windows and doors????

What to them is a game, standing and squirting away, to you is housework when you hand them a rag and tell them to wipe off the water!  Does it get the glass crystal clear?  No, but it does help, and let's face it, Mama. Every little bit that you don't have to do yourself is help!

Admittedly, the older girls (7 & 9) are catching on to the this-isn't-a-game-you're-tricking-me-into-working aspect of this approach.  I think that's why God blessed me with another kid:

To keep the Child-Labor Train chuggin' along!


Peanut, cleaning the slider, with Moses supervising.  I swear I heard him say "Yup - you missed a spot!"

What are your favorite tips and tricks to getting the kids involved in housework?

2 comments:

  1. Haha! Just read your "who am I". Not cringing, Nancy. Your writing is wonderful. :) As for the topic, it's a good one. Little miss over here lives to "help"-- cleaning, cooking, whatever. She's in. The boys, on the other hand, need incentive. Like money. Or threats of check marks. Yikes. Kind of scary how they seem to be born that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle.

      Yes, I'm sure boys can be different. Having a gang of brothers myself, I can imagine. Let's just say I earned having all girls.....

      As far as helping willingly and eagerly, that phase only lasted with the older two until they were around 5. So I'm just riding the wave right now while I can!

      Delete