Sunday, January 8, 2012

Going Bananas, One Word at a Time

Family meal-time is a big deal at our house. It doesn't need to be fancy; it just needs to happen - regularly and repeatedly.  I won't bore you with statistics here, but suffice it to say it has been fairly firmly established that when families share meals together on a regular basis, around a table without distraction (no t.v, phones, etc), everyone is better for it.

So, my kids know when dinner is ready, they are to sit at the table. Unless I make a big, surprise announcement like, "We're having pizza and ice cream on the floor while watching a movie tonight!" (which I do sometimes, because I'm cool like that...).  Lately, though, this has been a challenge for our youngest.  At 27 months, she does not enjoy sitting anywhere.  Ever.  Period.  Layer in a dose of early evening fatigue, and mix with the rumblings of a hungry two-year old tummy...let's just say not everyone is always enthused with our mealtime arrangement.  And it's not always just her, but we get through it.

Like tonight. 

Dinner time started with a battle: first getting her into her chair, then getting her to stop kicking and screaming and snotting long enough to attempt to take even a bite.  As she's the third child and we've been to this circus many times before, we largely ignored her fit except for the occasional reminder that once she settled down we would love to help her get some food in her hungry tummy.  Eventually she did, we hugged, she took a few tentative bites, and before long she was chowin' down on minestrone and garlic toast.  Within minutes her fit was a distant memory, and we began our newest dinner game: One-Word Storytelling!

The gist is this: one person starts a story by saying a single word. Any word that pops into their head.  The story continues one word at a time, one person at a time.  If the kids were older I might put a spin on it by only giving a few seconds for the word to be chosen, or maybe adding key words that have to be used at certain times in the story - no matter how they fit (or don't), but for now we just enjoy the story as it unfolds.  Even the baby gets in on it on some rounds, although it's usually some random word she throws out that just happens to work at that moment, so we go with it. 

Without further ado, here is the result of our dinner-time creativity this evening....

I like to eat bananas, and when I do I get crazy! My sister thinks they are gross.  She likes grapes.  I wish she were a monkey. I know how funny it gets around banana and grape shelves when my sister and I jump on carts like crazy monkeys!  The manager thinks it's funny, but not right, so we get in trouble - but today we didn't because we were the only monkeys there.  My mom left us to fling ourselves off posts to get into the mode for swinging in gymnastics.  We were going, so I got a banana and loved pickles.

That random "pickle" bit was Mr. Four Walls, by the way.  Figures. He had to put his goofball spin on our Manor House moment. Makes it even more of a Manor House moment, I suppose. And I"m not even going to begin to try to figure out what it says about me that "Mom" leaves her kids alone in grocery stores to fling themsleves around as a warm-up for gymnastics.....

It probably says I've gone bananas, one word at a time.

What are your favorite dinner-time activities?  How do you handle the dinner time melt-downs, toddler or otherwise?

No comments:

Post a Comment